Teal Toes 2012

309155_10151226894848939_2025575265_n


Last year, we celebrated ovarian cancer awareness in September with Teal Toes, a great organization that helps raise awareness for this crazy disease. Guess what. We're going to do it again this year!

I loved, loved, loved seeing all of your pictures and reading your notes of support last year, and I'll love it even more if you participate again! And how about another drawing for your very own bottle of OPI polish. This year's teal polish is called I'm So Sari, and it is beautiful!

Paint your toes, leave me a comment, and on September 15, I'll choose a random number and send your very own bottle of teal polish. Sound good?

Rory and I got a head start.
DSC_4565

And just like last year, I'm going to remind you that ovarian cancer is hard to detect, is not nearly as widely known as other cancers, and is often called the silent killer. I started to post some statistics for you, but considering I am living out those numbers and they are less-than-encouraging, I'm just going to skip it. Mortality rate for those diagnosed with ovarian cancer has not improved in the last 30 years because it is diagnosed in late stages far too often.

Far too often as in 85% of the time.

It ranks fifth as the cause of cancer deaths in women, and accounts for more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system. [WHY does it not get more attention and research??] Early detection is about the only thing that will save you. Click here for a good list of symptoms and basic information.

I know many of you have started asking for ultrasounds and the CA125 blood test at your annual exams as a result of my experience, and I encourage you to continue asking for those tests.

Thanks again, my friends, for being such an amazing support system for me and our family.



Comments

Vicky said…
I love the teal- I hate what it symbolizes in far too many women's lives. Will see if I can rustle up some teal and will come back and show you :)
Brenda Lewis said…
My teal is going on today! (9/1/12)

Sure hope more there is more awareness and research.
Brenda Lewis said…
My teal polish goes on today. Sure there is more awareness and research for a cure.
BeckieK said…
Yay! I love your post! Thanks for your comment on my post!
I polished my toes teal the other day to get ready for September! It's going to be a teal month! :-)
going to dig out my teal polish tonight! Believe it or not my toes were teal all year, I changed them in July right before our annual vacation and have been PINK since then, but other than that it is TEAL for me! Changing them tonight! New picture tomorrow =)
All our love and support from Oregon!
Karen said…
Just posted mine on Facebook for you! Terrible shot/angle of my feet, but at least you know I did it!
Karen said…
Also have a regular appt Monday and will ask my doc about the testing. Facing hormone levels checked anyway...
My toes are teal!!! Do you really want a photo of my ugly little piggies?! EEK. I'll email you one. (I will not be posting publicly... no one needs THAT!
I went teal with my toes about a week ago! I think of you every time I look at my feet (wait, is that weird??)
I love this idea if for awareness. We will be taking a picture of our toes and sending it your way. We wish you all the best and are praying for you!
Ally @ Even Miracles
Monica said…
I painted my toes teal last night. I actually just bought some new teal polish at Target last weekend. I'm so glad I get to use it to support you and raise awareness for this cause.

This is my first time commenting here. I have been following your blog since I heard you on the DigiShow last year. I pray for you often.

I blogged my teal toes on my blog. Here's the link with my picture.

http://dailydwelling.com/friday-favorites-and-teal-toes
Even Miracles said…
Melissa ...my toes are teal and I posted on my blog. No pix did a post!
Anonymous said…
Toes painted I'm so Sari...I think it should be "Sari I'm not Sari" :)


Anonymous said…
Anonymous here, aka Brandy :)
Alex said…
My toes are teal as well as my 4 year old daughter's toes! My boys wanted teal toes too but that just wouldn't be right! Lol! I have to tell you that I have had numerous people comment on the teal! No one has EVER commented on my nail color but I have been able to share your story and give the info. about ovarian cancer, thank you for providing the link!
Tracee said…
I wish I had known! I have several real life friends struggling and I would have sent them a picture!

Before we headed to Texas in early June, I got a pedicure and for some reason picked teal. Totally NOT my normal choice. I don't know what brand of polish they used or what brand of clear he used, but it's now September and I STILL have teal toes!
Amy said…
I know I am waaaaaay late on this but my toes have been teal for at least 3 weeks now.I just can't seem to remember to take a pic of them for the blog or fb. I have had several compliments on them and each time I have told them about you and why they are teal!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel